Having throbbing and pulsing feeling in ear when laying down. Have normal BP. Any advice?

I have a throbbing / pulsing type feeling in my right ear that goes away when I 'pop' my ear by moving my jaw. I notice that it is present more when lying down and specifically when on my right side. My blood pressure is relatively normal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 21 minutes later
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical care specialist) and would be glad to answer your query here.

It is due to a retracted ear drum. It can occur if you have a blocked eustasean tube (connecting ear to the nose).

Do you have any ear pain, blocked nose, fever, common cold?
Do yo get any ringing in the ear, imbalance, nausea?

Popping the ear opens the tubal opening causing pressure equalisation on both sides of the eardrum and relief.

If there is pain, ear discharge, fever, I would advise an ENT opinion.

I hope I answered your query well.

I would be happy to answer any future queries.
Keep me informed at
Good luck !
Follow-up: Having throbbing and pulsing feeling in ear when laying down. Have normal BP. Any advice? 13 minutes later
Thank you for your response Dr Akole.

There is no fever present, nor pain. A little bit of imbalance and intermittent blocked nose/mild headache.
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 17 minutes later
Good then. It is unlikely to be otitis (infection).
Please see an ENT expert to look for causes of nose block and secondary middle ear pressure problem and headache.

You may need investigations and antibiotics and nasal decongestants.

You may gently pop the eardrum by closing the nose and blowing out gently with closed mouth.
Take simple acetaminophen for headaches and pain. and steam inhalations at home to relieve congestion till you XXXXXXX your expert.
Good luck.

I would request you to please give a review rating to this experience here after you satisfactorily accept and close this query anytime you feel content.