Having throat pain while swallowing. Hurts to touch. What could be causing this?

I have very bad pain on my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX when swallowing suddenly. Also hurts to touch. I have been experiencing some throat pain that seemed to radiate to my ear, but this seems different. Almost like an injury to my neck, but there has not been a mechanism of injury.
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 40 minutes later
The symptoms of throat pain and associated earache is suggestive of severe Upper respiratory tract infection.
It may be caused most commonly due to Viral infection or bacterial infection primarily or secondarily when viral infection stays unabated for 5-7 days.
You should prevent your self from exposure to cold, XXXXXXX enough warm cloths.
Have bed rest and take lots of fluids like soups, lemon water, curds, tea and other household liquids and take a balanced diet.
Decongestant medicines like Wikoryl take thrice a day are the main stay treatment.
You should get evaluated by a physician of your locality and get assessed if you also require antibiotics. You should improve the oral health, brush twice a day and do chlorhexidine mouth gargles thrice a day and avoid eating any edibles during ensuing 2 hours to ensure good germicidal effect of chlorhexidine; Do warm saline gargles after you take anything orally.
if you have malaise and fever then take acetaminophen(paracetamol) 500mg as required.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Follow-up: Having throat pain while swallowing. Hurts to touch. What could be causing this? 11 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the reply. I havent been coughing or anything. Could it still be oral hygiene affect my throat? I am very concerned as a smoker and the entire front of my neck is painful to touch.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 10 hours later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
Coughing indicates lower respiratory infection and is not seen necessarily in URI.
If oral hygiene is good then saliva that flows in the inflamed area would not infect it with bacteria so can avoid it.
You should rinse the mouth after you smoke every time.
Painful throat suggests inflammation of URI and would resolve slowly.
Wish you a great health!