Having throat pain and hurts to swallow. What is wrong?

I was hugged by a pregnant lady and to avoid her stomach yet still hug while I looked up and felt/heard a large cracking sound.
Now my throat is painful and it is hard to swallow on the right side of where my neck is underneath my jaw.
What have I done? How long will I be in pain? Do I need to do anything?
Posted Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 13 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

Can you please provide more details about your symptoms?

Did you hurt yourself in the region of pain during hugging?

Are there any other symptoms like swelling or signs of inflammation in the region of pain?

Do you suffer from any disease or had any infection in the region of ear, nose, neck or throat etc?

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Having throat pain and hurts to swallow. What is wrong? 8 hours later
My throat is still painful inside and hurts to swallow and speak when I need to project my voice. It has been 16hours since.

On the outside there is slight swelling
On the inside my tongue feels sore/swollen and 'rough' - if this makes sense

The hurt in the region happened during hugging when the cracking sound came

I am in good health, no disease or infection and do not take any medication
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 hours later

Thanks for the details.

In view of details particularly of injury and cracking sound makes me suspicious of fracture of hyoid bone or laryngeal apparatus injury.

Hyoid bone is arch like bone located in-front of your larynx, where vocal cords are present. May be this could be the reason of pain while speaking or swallowing.

Actually, it is very rare to get such injury except in vehicle or other major accidents; but in view of your complaints and details of incidence, this needs to be ruled out.

Seeing ENT specialist would be next ideal step. Doctor might want to get few investigations like laryngoscopy, x-ray or scan done to look at neck structure.

Meanwhile you can take oral analgesics to reduce pain. Investigations can help to predict how long you will have pain.

Please ask if there are doubts.

Follow-up: Having throat pain and hurts to swallow. What is wrong? 51 minutes later
if it is a fracture, what can be done
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 24 minutes later
Hi and thanks again for following up.

Before answers your query, I would once again like to stress that these injuries are comparatively rare. But in view of the details I am suggesting this possibility, so first ideal step would be to confirm the diagnosis first by getting evaluation done.

To answer your query now, if the fracture is confirmed by investigations then treatments depend on the degree of injury. It’s good to know that you don't have any breathing issues. Breathing issues often accompany serious hyoid fractures. In such cases, if the fractures are not significant, then just wait and watch approach till symptoms resolve can be undertaken.
If injury is significant with displaced fracture compromising airway then surgical repair of fracture may be needed.

Pain can be taken care of by conservative treatment - anti-inflammatory drugs and voice rest. This will heal minor insignificant fractures without breathing difficulties.

Therefore I urge you to consult an ENT specialist nearby for detailed examination and evaluation.

Hope this answers your query.

Follow-up: Having throat pain and hurts to swallow. What is wrong? 5 days later
What is acute torticollis
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 5 hours later
Acute torticollis is spasm of neck muscle on one side of the neck, there may be resultant twisting of the neck and face towards one side because of this spasm.

It is treated with regular painkillers.