Having throat pain. Can i take Doxycycline?

throat pain... can i take Doxycycline? Attached is a photo I took of my throat with my cell phone... any other suggestions besides the medicine, I mean salt-water, listerine or anything else..? thanks.
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 56 minutes later

Though the most common bacteria causing throat infections are gram positive, without throat swab test as evidence, the exact causative organism cannot be predicted. Doxycycline is more effective in treating gram negative bacterial infections than gram positive organism. Therefore whether or not you will feel better cannot be predicted. Since you have already started doxycycline, can continue taking it for maximum duration of 5 days.

The picture sent does not help us in revealing the type of infection. If a strep test kit is available in your country (it is available over the counter in the US), you may use it to rule out streptococcal infection.

Either if strep test reveals positive for streptococcal infection or if pain persist despite 3 days of doxycycline use, you are advised to consult your local doctor for review of antibiotic - penicillin or cephalosporin group of drugs are preferred choice of drug.

Some home remedies to you:
1. Continue gargling with salt-warm water. Alternatively betadine gargles can be tried.
2. Throat lozenges which are over the counter are helpful.
3. If the pain is severe, you can try gargling with crushed aspirin (or use dispersible aspirin) mixed in a glass of warm water.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Wish you a speedy recovery...