Having throat infection and allergies. Prescribed with amoxicillin and predesone. Should I take the medications?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Im currently dianose with a throat infection and allergies the doctor that i see give me amoxicillin and predesone 20 mg. i was wondering why do i have to take predesone when the label saids it will definately reduce my immune system. Dont i need my immune system to be strong. Why would he give something that will weaken it. Mefication photo is on previous post.
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: prednisolone is a steroid Detailed Answer: hello and welcome to XXXXXXX care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan, an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem. Since you have throat infection, it is understood that you need antibiotic as amoxycillin that the doctor has given you. Your concern is why he had to prescribe predesone which is prednisolone, a steroid tablet. The indications of steroids in a throat infection are rare and is usually not done routinely. You may consider if you have the following indications: 1. Any swelling of the throat including tongue, tonsils and lips which need some steroid for immediate relief 2. Aphtous or ulceration and pharyngitis of the throat; in this case, you may need steroid for their anti inflammatory actions. 3. Breathing difficulty or nose block. Steroid may help in this too 4. Polyps in the nose which can cause discomfort can be treated temporarily by steroids. 5. Any history of reactions to drugs needs a course of steroids for safety. You must ask yourself if any of these are indicated for you and go with the treatment. You must also remember that a short term course of steroids will not have much effect on your immune system so do not worry. Having mentioned all these I must also mention that if the course of steroid is long term and you are still not very convinced then you must consult with your treating doctor and ask him or her on the indication of steroid. Hope your doubts are clear and I will be more than happy to answer any more doubts that you may have regards Dr Sriram Nathan
Follow-up: Having throat infection and allergies. Prescribed with amoxicillin and predesone. Should I take the medications? 13 hours later
How about for very itchy throat at curtain times.
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 7 hours later
Brief Answer: try antihistamine Detailed Answer: Hello again, For a very itchy throat also rarely a steroid tablet can be given for better and faster symptom control. But I would personally prefer a safer medication like antihistamine like levocetrizine. Your doctor would know about this. hope your doubts are clear and you may ask me if you have any more regards Dr Sriram Nathan