Having throat cancer, after treatment told to be non curable. Suggestion?

Excellent

Oncologist
Question
My dad is having a throat cancer after a treatment doctor says that we cannot cure it. I have put the complete history in the current medications column. Please advise is there remedy for him?
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 8 hours later
Hi

I am sorry to know about your father. It appears that he has stage IV throat cancer. This is an incurable disease. Only options are radiotherapy to improve some symptoms (already received), chemotherapy if feasible to prolong life and control the disease for some time, and supportive care directed at the symptoms. His condition appears to be a bit weak and chemo may be difficult in him. That's why it has not been suggested.

I would agree with his treating physician that the best option for him is to have only supportive care, preferably at home so that the suffering can be minimised.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further follow-up queries, if any.

Follow-up: Having throat cancer, after treatment told to be non curable. Suggestion? 2 days later
Thank you so much for your reply sir. whether I can take him anyother hospital for a second opinion or its not necessary?

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 hours later
You can certainly take a second opinion but I don't think it will help.

Follow-up: Having throat cancer, after treatment told to be non curable. Suggestion? 13 hours later
Thank you sir for your prompt response. What do you think about the Sida vaithiyam? I have heard about the place name called Mukkali where the tribal people gives some leafs liquid which cures the cancer. I just thought of going for that its not that curing from the disease but atleast I can prolong him for his life time. I couldnt accept fact that my dad is with us for sometime. its really hurting me a lot. I wanted to do something for him. Please help me sir.

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 39 minutes later
I am not aware that these things prolong life. I understand your situation but I can't recommend something that I am not convinced of. You can certainly try for your satisfaction.

Follow-up: Having throat cancer, after treatment told to be non curable. Suggestion? 5 minutes later
Thank you so much sir.

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 9 hours later
You are welcome