Having thingy pain, tightens, swelling and discoloration of wrist after someone grabbing the wrist

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Someone grabbed my wrist which are very tiny. Didn't start hurting for a few days after. Could move hand or wrist. Was to scared to have a doctor touch it. 3 weeks later. A lot of thingy pain. Tightens, swelling and discoloration. Help. Mostly tightning in and swelling in the thumb. And finger next to my pinky and top of wrist is where a lot of pain is
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be a tendon inflammation.

Detailed Answer:
The appearance of symptoms 3 weeks after the injury are likely to be due to a tendon or nerve injury and it has got inflamed causing all the symptoms.
Any bone injury is not likely.
It can be due to carpal tunnel syndrome also.
You need to give it some rest for a while, use hot fomentation twice a day and local ointment for pain relief. Avoid gripping and lifting objects altogether. Keep it in most comfortable position or use a splint/crepe bandage most of the time (including at night) for best results. Watch for worsening of symptoms like increase in pain, increase of swelling and tingling numbness in all the fingers. If you get any of these, visit your orthopedician and get a check up done followed by investigations like X XXXXXXX or MRI.

It looks like it will resolve on its own in a couple of days.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having thingy pain, tightens, swelling and discoloration of wrist after someone grabbing the wrist 44 hours later
Is the tightness and tingling usually a normal symptom of healing process. Or is my circulation being cut off. Can I wait till tomorrow to go to hospital.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is not an emergency. You can wait.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
The tightness and tingling is more likely to be due to an inflammation in the area. This is not related to a circulation compromise.
You can wait till tomorrow to go to a hospital.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Having thingy pain, tightens, swelling and discoloration of wrist after someone grabbing the wrist 2 hours later
my hand and forearm seem discolored. and the swelling stiffness is mostly in my thumb and from there up my wrist and my third finger was hurting bad yesterday. is it normal for the pain to be worse after 3 weeks unattended. and what is best for relief. hot or cold or Both. and there seems to be pressure in the forarm. most of the pain is when I try to lay my arm on its side where the wrist bone is

oh remember some one actually squeezed my wrist for a min or so and it didn't really start hurting for a couple days after
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
An infection or inflammation is likely.

Detailed Answer:
The discoloration of the arm and stiffness do not seem to be related to the injury you had 3 weeks ago. This can be due to an infection or an inflammation in the area. Doing a hot compress will help you. Mild pain killers and oral broad spectrum antibiotics are also recommended after proper examination.