Having thick scaly skin. Not cured by moisturizers. How to get rid of this?

I'm having thick scaly skin, i have been using moisturizers for a very long time, but there seems to be no sign of improvement, is there any possible ways get out from this?. I have used Venisa XXXXXXX cream and EMODERM for years. Could you please prescribe me some medicine that can will give a remedy for my problem?.
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 3 hours later

You seem to have the problem of ichthyosis. This is a genetic problem which has exacerbations and remissions. It is more in winter.
Since it is a genetic problem this only be controlled and not completely cured.
Basically your skin lacks the property to hold back water. There is also excess of water loss through the superficial layers of skin.
You have been using moisturizers correctly. However if you wish you can use cetaphil cream after bath. We have many such creams in the market. Moisturex cream is another one. Whatever cream you use, please use it soon after bath when the skin is wet. Both these are from reputed companies.

Please drink plenty of water. Take lot of fresh fruits.
Ichthyosis is not a major problem to worry about.

I wish you will become better.

Good day

Prasad pvs