Having the symptoms of shingles. Sensitive skin on inner arm and armpit. Should I go for blood test?

I have recently been having the symptoms (since last Thursday} of Shingles
I have sesitive skin on my inner arm and armpit with occasional jabbing pains.
Also I am very sore around my middle from my navel to half way around my back.
I have been to see the doctor but she said that until a rash appears that I cannot be
given any anti-viral medication. But I have also been told that in some cases only
a blood test can confirm Shingles as a rash does not always appear. I feel slightly
nauseous and I have a higher colour than usual.

Initially I thought I had accidentally sprayed myself with dog flea spray as my dog
was heavily infested with mites. I also contacted the loacal Pest Control department
as I live very near a racecourse/parkland where there could possibly be rats, foxes and
mice etc. )

In your opinion do you think I should go back to the surgery and ask for a blood test?
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Its not necessary for shingles to appear with rash.
However shingles always appear in a particular dermatome that is in area of one nerve supply.
It cannot be under arm as well as in lower abdomen.
Well treatment can be started even without rash and if there is doubt there is no harm in taking a 7 days course of treatment.
Blood test for shingles is not reliable.
Also the antibodies appear late in stage of disease.
Let me know if you have any other doubts,
Thank you