Having terrible periods. Experiencing lower pelvic and back pain. How to get relief?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a 52 year old female, have had my period since I was 12, 5 pregnancies with 5 live births. I normally have my period every 25 to 29 days. I have had terrible periods the past 2 years and had a Dr suggest ablation. I was scheduled 5 months ago but had to cancel. For the past 3 weeks I have been experiencing lower pelvic pain, sometimes a feeling of an extreme need to urinate then it passes and if I try to go there is very little there. And lower back ache along the entire lower back. The pains come and go but have become stronger.
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The pain in the lower abdomen associated with a frequency of micturition is likely to be due to a involves the tract through which the urine flows. It is commonly caused by bacteria like Escherichia coli, Klebsiella etc. This commonly causes burning while urination, an increased frequency of urination and having to get up in the night to pass urine. These infections are common in women and are easily treatable. The treatment of this would involve the following:
a. Drink plenty of fluids
b. Cranberry juice has been shown to be useful in fighting this infection.
c. You can take a urine alkalinizing agent like disodium hydrogen citrate
d. You would also need a course of antibiotics like ciprofloxacin. However, it would be best if we get a urine culture and sensitivity done in order to identify the bacterium and know which antibiotic it is susceptible to.
Since these are prescription drugs, I would suggest you see your physician for the same. With this treatment, I think you should be good in about 1 week.
Given your age, I would also suggest a screening for diabetes since these infections are more common in diabetics.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.