Having terrible nausea. Taking klonopin, lyrica, prednisone and coreg. Is it due to drug interaction?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have been having terrible nausea for about 4 hours a day for about 3 weeks. I am beginning to think this is a drug interaction, although I am not taking anything new. I take klonopin, lyrica, prednisone, hydrocodone and coreg.
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
It doesnt matter if you take anything new or not. Interactions can occur at any time. These medicines are potent and have certain risk of side effects especially prednisone, lyrica and hydrocodone. Some serious interactions are not reported but hydrocodone is known to affect gastrointestinal system,lyrica as well and both can cause nausea. It can be used together but only if there is clear indication for it. Try to reduce dosage of both and see is there improvement. Prednisone should also be used as less as possible and in smaller doses so consult your doctor about it.
Also,it may not be caused by medicines,it can be sign of gastroenterologic disease especially if associated with diarrheas, pain in abdomen,loss of apetite, stool changes or weight loss. Gastroenteritis that you have can also be the cause. So if nausea persists you should consider changing your drug therapy and take some antiemetics.
Wish you good health. Feel free to ask.