Having tender pain on ribs, small lump appeared. How to get relief?

hi doctor I have tender pain upon pressing below my ribs on far left side - there appears to be small lumps as well - sometimes throbs under arm pit area as well - has been there for a while noe 2 months or so
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
By your description, the lumps could be an abscess ( a localized collection of pus) or an infected sebaceous cyst.
The pain in your under arm region seems to be due enlarged lymph nodes. If you can send me a picture of the lump, then I would be able to help you better. You can use the 'Upload your reports' section on the right
The treatment for this would be a course of oral antibiotics like amoxicillin-clavulanate for a total of 5 days.
Awaiting your reply