Having tailbone pain. What could be done?

Hi Doctor, From the last few days I have pain in the tip of the bone near anus. I did not have any injury which could have caused it. This pain becomes worse when I sit for prolonged periods of time. Could you please advise. Thank You !
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 24 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. What you have is called coccydynia or the tailbone pain. Though injury , poor posture and repeated activity like cycling can lead to this, in many affected persons, the cause cannot be found out. Xray or MRI may be done for confirmation. You can take painkillers like ibuprofen for relief. If there is no relief, you may need physical therapy or steroid injections. If there is no response to these, then the tail bone is removed by surgical treatment. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini