Having tachycardia and bipolar. Treated for sinus infection. Suffering for anxiety and mild OCD. What this could be?

my 23 year old son has swollen lymph nodes and was just told he has tachycardia...they did a number of tests, blood work and a chest x-ray...he has had no sense of smell for about 2 months and was treated twice for a sinus infection...I realize we have to wait for the results, but do you have any sense of what this could be? He also is bipolar and not on medication (usually depressed but not so much that he can't get through all he has to do) and suffers with anxiety and mild OCD...and feeling lousy for the past few months has caused a lot of anxiety
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 6 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

I think he has partial loss of smell than the total. Loss of smell is often caused by conditions affecting the mucous membranes that line the nasal passages. Allergic reactions are a common cause of loss of smell. Such reactions may be triggered by pollen (hay fever), animal dander, foods, or medicines.

Upper respiratory infections cause inflammation of the nasal passage and are common causes of loss of smell. These infections include the common cold, sinusitis, and influenza.

The sense of smell is often lost with disorders that prevent air from reaching the part of the nose where smell receptors are located. These disorders may include nasal polyps, nasal deformities.

As it was temporary loss i think it can be due to sinusitis.

Tachycardia is bound to occur whenever there is anxiety. I advice you to see psychiatrist for counseling and to decide whether he needs medication for illness.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer