Having t-band pain in leg. Recovered after physiotherapy. Noticed numbness, mild IT-band inflammation on leg

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 32 years old and generally healthy. I am very much involved in sports (cricket, tennis). Almost 4 years ago, I had IT-band pain in my right leg. Doctor recommended physiotherapy and I completely recovered from it after a month of visit to the physio.

Since, almost a year ago from now, I started noticing mild IT-band inflammation in my right leg again. Also noticing the right foot would get numb for few minutes (2-3 minutes) from time to time (e.g. if I walk for few minutes, sometimes even when I am sitting or lying, cross leg-ed). In this one year I have not played much sports and also did not go to gym because of reasons like relocation due to new job...

I thought the numbness was due to the IT-band problem (hence did not consult any doctor) and resumed the exercise recently (almost 2-3 months). I noticed that the numbness goes away (or at least happens less frequently) when I do exercise, but if I stop for a week or so it comes back. I have also noticed improvement in my IT-band problem.

Now I read some where that this thing (numbness) may arise due to diabetes. I am bit worried because my mother (and her side -- granny, uncles) has diabetes. Last time I had a blood test, almost an year ago, showed my blood-sugar was 92. Could it be due to that? Should I consult a doctor or undergo a blood test or (what tests should I ask for)?

Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The tight IT band can cause a nerve compression leading to the numbness. The regular exercise will help in decreasing the tightening and the tone thus decreasing the nerve compression and numbness.
The numbness caused by other causes like diabetes, thyroid hormone disturbance, methylcobalamin deficiency, etc - all these cause a generalized numbness more commonly seen in all the four limbs.
In your case the numbness is more likely to be due to tight IT band.
Still it is best to get your fasting blood sugar evaluated to find out any disease early.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.