Having symptoms of motion sickness of vertigo. Suggested inner ear virus. Prescribed Meclizine. Do I have seasonal motion sickness?

For the second summer I am having symptoms that either relate to motion sickness of vertigo. Last summer in July I saw a Doctor and was told it may be an inner ear virus. I was prescribed Meclizine for the motion sickness and eventually it went away. Recently in May the symptoms returned.

Is there such a thing as seasonal motion sickness? Is there a good chance this could be a sign of something more serious or life threatening? If so what? The symptoms do seem to be motion activated. They are not constant, sometimes I go through a good chunk of the day without them, However if I turn around too quickly at work, or I nod my head up and down it can make it happen. It also can happen if I am sitting and then stand up. I do not currently have medical insurance. Is this something I should be addressing immediately or should I simply wait it out?

Any Guidance/Advise as to what is going on?
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 2 hours later

Thank you for using WWW.WWWW.WW for your query.

Having read your question, I am of the opinion that you could be dealing with vestibulitis rather than motion sickness as such. The XXXXXXX part of the ear has, besides the hearing organ, a specialised body balancing structure known as the VESTIBULE. This consists of 3 differently aligned semi-circular tubes attached to a common central structure. A fluid moves around the whole structure. When the body experiences sudden changes of balance, the movement of the fluid inside these canals alerts the brain to the change of balance, and the body then rights itself to overcome the shift of balance.

When there is vestibulitis, most commonly due to a virus (this can be any one of several different kinds of viruses, the herpes zoster virus being one of them), this delicate function of the vestibular system is disturbed, leading to episodes of giddiness sometimes accompanied by vomiting, loss of body balance and weakness.

Such attacks can be seasonal, esp. in winter.

I do think that you should consult an ENT expert whether you have insurance or not.

Thank you once again, and I hope you get well soon.

- Dr. Taher