Having symptoms of mild asthma and sinus. How long it takes to cure completely?

ENT Specialist
I have symptoms of rhinosinusitis (mild asthma and sinus) and am based out in Bangalore, India. I would need to know which tests I should go for to confirm on type of sinus I have and how much expensive that would be. Also, once diagnosed, how much time does it normally take to for complete treatment of the problem. Would help if I could get references of some good ENT for consultation.
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 16 hours later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon

On the basis of the information provided it appears that you have allergic rhinosinusitis with asthma. Allergic rhinitis is at times associated with asthma because of recurrent post nasal drip which irritates airway lower down and can present with symptoms of asthma. Association with change of place is also suggestive of allergic rhinitis with asthma. Patients with such symptoms may progress to chronic sinustis or nasal polyps.

I would advise you for a complete blood count, a sinus X XXXXXXX and a Chest X XXXXXXX as the basic tests. Any positive findings in these X XXXXXXX may require a CT scan Paranasal sinuses to look for the extent of involvement of sinuses. Along with these tests I would advise you for a ENT consultation and a Chest Consultation. Initial treatment is based on your symptoms and extent of involvement of sinuses. Most of the patients have a control of symptoms with medical treatment. The treatment is in a stepped up form where we gradually add medications of different group so that the patient gets relief in symptoms.

The treatment cost and investigations depends on the place of treatment. The tests i have mentioned will cost you around four to 5 thousand rupees (maximum) .

Allergic diseases are common in childhood and young adults and it is said they wean off gradually with age. We can look forward for controlling symptoms by medications and avoiding allergen. Use of masks, clean room, avoiding going out in cold weather are the preventive measures commonly tried.

I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you have any more queries about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma