Having symptoms of meningitis. What is the best method to diagnose meningitis?

One of my uncle is having all the symptms of Meningitis from past one month... He is either in ICU or in hospital. But what type of Meningitis is not detected yet with all the tests done... Is there any test to detect it and treating the same?
Thanks for your help in advance.
Posted Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 5 hours later

The best method to diagnose meningitis is analysis of brain fluid (CSF) by demonstration of organism or its antigen. It will be helpful if you provide his clinical history and present status. Send me all the reports of CSF and other investigations done.

Based on the diagnosis or on assumption we treat this condition with appropriate antibiotics.

Let me know if you need further clarifications