Having symptoms of H1N2. Had CABG. Taking paracetamol and phenylephrine hydrochloride. Proper medication?

Oncologist, Surgical
I have typical A(H1N2) flu symptoms. I am 65 years old and had CABG in January. The only medication I am taking for the flu is Paracetamol and phenylephrine hydrocloride. Should I consider anything else or just see it through?
Posted Wed, 11 Jul 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 2 hours later

Flu is quite a common problem and usually responds to the regular treatment that you are on.

In addition to paracetamol, you should just consider taking in a lot of liquids (especially water and warm soups).

If you are on aspirin after your CABG, you should contact your doctor regarding the use during flu, as it can sometimes lead to a rare side effect known as Reye's syndrome (where it can lead to a damaged liver; although uncommon in adults).

If your cough gets bad or you start noticing phlegm in your cough, you should consult your doctor and probably start an antibiotic (which otherwise does not have a role in routine viral flu infections).

It is very important to get your platelet counts checked.

Hope you get well soon.

Do write back to me in case of follow up queries that you may have.