Having swollen wrist. It is red and warm. Not cured by antibiotic. Tender to touch. What should be done?

My mother has a swollen wrist and it is red and warm. Exrays show no problem. They put her on an antibiotic but it is worse today than yesterday. It is tender to the touch. She is 94 years old.
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
swollen and tender wrist in elderly can be due to different causes like wrist tendonitis/ trauma /carpel tunnel syndrome/ fracture.

But as X-ray is normal and clinical examination is already been done; we can start supportive treatment in terms of -
1] Ice packs to relieve inflammation. However, the ice should not directly touch the skin.
2] Anti-pyretic - analgesic tablets for pain free wrist e.g ibuprofen or piroxicam .
3] Resting the wrist and not undertaking any kind of strenuous activity, till the swelling and pain subsides, helps in fastening the healing process too.

As inflammation is progressing fast in spite of antibiotics, you need to see doctor again. Doctor may change medication or may advise support system for wrist.
I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.