Having swollen, red and itchy hands and feet. Diagnosed as allergy. Using cortisone. What is the disease?

I am looking for an answer regarding swollen ,red,itchy hands and bottom of feet. Not all at the same time and not all fingers on hands. Skin feels so tight it could split and severe itching.Hot at swollen areas,but the itching is worse. Dr.says "allergies" but I wonder. Am taking reactine and using cortisone -based creams,but only moderate and temporary relief. What on earth is it?
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Your doctor could be right. Major causes of itching are allergies .

However,Scleroderma could be another possibility where the skin of the hands are tight and swollen. Scleroderma is a connective tissue disorder. I would advise you to visit a rheumatologist for a second opinion.

If it is due to allergy ,your condition should get better with the above medications,(reactive and cortisone based creams) provided you avoid the agent that causes the allergy.

Use gloves while washing dishes /clothes, if you wash them with your hands.Sometimes, you might be allergic to harsh detergents/ soaps.
Find out what makes your condition better and what makes it worse. Avoid the triggering factor.

Hope this helps.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan