Having swollen lymph nodes behind ear. Feels sore and red. Cancer?

General Surgeon
Hi. I notice three days ago that I have swollen lymph nodes behind my left ear. About 2cm. It sore and red. Yesterday I found 2 more under the same ear. About 0,5 cm. Round, not hard, heart a little bit. And I also find to smaller just above my collor bone, and two on the other side of my other collor bone. I'm really sceard for cancer. Sorry for bad english, thank You!
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 27 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Lymph nodes get swollen usually due to infection. Such node is some kind of immune system center for surrounding tissues. Infection is the most common reason of enlarged lymph nodes. Such lymph node is usually movable, with smooth surface, and painful.
In some cases, lymph nodes can get enlarged due to cancer indeed. However usually such lymph node is hard, not movable, with rough surface and painless.

Please verify if you have any inflammation in this area (any ear pain, tooth pain, throat pain, cough, tongue pain, pain while swallowing). If nothing like that isnt present, there is always a possibility to diagnose enlarged lymph nodes. To do that and to get most accurate diagnose, a biopsy should be done. But first, you need to visit a doctor and have physical examination to see if there is any inflammation source of enlarged lymph nodes.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.