Having swollen lump on knee. History of having thrombosis in other knee. What are the risks?

Hi I have a lump at the crease of my left knee, leg hurts a little, its not hard, more a swelling.. should i be worried. I had a thrombosis in the other leg some 27 years ago and I would not say its a thrombosis. This swelling appeared about 2 weeks ago, I am a cyclist, am not aware of any muscle pull. Bit of pain radiates up the back of the leg from the swelling in the crease.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 37 minutes later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.

It would be better if you mention the size of the swelling, whether it is increasing in size or restricted movement of the knee.

From the information provided i think it might be a Baker cyst which is swelling caused by fluid from the knee joint protruding to the back of the knee. Can be diagnosed by the doctor's examination and confirmed by radiological testing.

Baker cysts often resolve with aspiration (removal) of excess knee fluid in conjunction with cortisone injection. Medications are sometimes given to relieve pain and inflammation.

It need to be examined and the diagnosis should be confirmed, so i advice you to see orthopedic surgeon.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer