Ask a Dentist   »  

Having swollen lips and hives. Took adderol and effexor. What allergy am I having?

ENT Specialist
swollen lips, hives. I am 45 years old, 5'2 and 110 lbs. I take adderol and effexor for add. Dont have any idea what I am having a reaction to. Benadryl helped but ended up having to get a shot of cortisone as well as11 days of prednisone starting today.
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. You should change to an anti-histamine such as Cetrizine 10 mg once a day (Benadryl Once a Day) in place of plain Benadryl. AN anti-leukotriene such as montelukast may be added.

2. A drug reaction has to be ruled out. Adderall and Effexor may interact and hence get their continued used reviewed by your physician.

3. A short dose of steroids will not harm you in any way. Steroids are normally produced by the adrenal glands in the body and are essential for life.

4. Swollen lips would indicate a reaction to a new food / cosmetic or through chapped lips due to dryness or cold.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.