Having swollen knee and ankle. Has high BP. Reason for swelling? Help?

From last week my mother's left leg has swollen from knees to ankle. She did not fell any where nor she was hurt. As she has High Blood Pressure I'm not able to understand to which doctor to consult. Is it OK to consult a general physician.
Can you help me in understanding what may be the reason for swelling.
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Regarding your first question, I think you should take your mother to a surgeon.

Regarding your second question, There can be many causes for the swelling on one leg below knee. Swelling mostly happens due to fluid retention in that part. It does not seem to be a result of a general medical condition like blood pressure. It rather seems to be an obstruction to blood flow or lymph flow from that part. The obstruction most probably happened at the level of knee. It can also be a thrombosis of a deep vein of the leg. It can also be a cellulitis of the leg.

Thus she will need some investigations done like blood tests that include D-dimer levels, duplex ultrasonography, venography, etc. These tests should be done under the supervision of the surgeon.

Till she sees the doctor she should keep the limb elevated above the level of heart while sleeping, use compressive stockings during the day.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee