Having swollen eyebrows. Suffer from dizziness and nausea. Had vertigo symptoms. Diagnosed labyrintitis. Prescribed Betahistine. Suggest

Nov 2013

Hello.I am 49yrs old female and have just developed swollen eyebrows out of the blue. My eyes themselves are not at all swollen nor itchy,vision fine,eye test ok. I have been suffering from dizziness and nausea for last 5 weeks, started with mild dizziness then 3 weeks ago I had vertigo symptoms,full blown room spinning sensation and had a black out followed by convulsion and was taken to A&E for checks.Doctor there diagnosed labyrintitis.After 3 weeks and no progress GP prescribed Betahistine and I had a C Spine X-ray,result outstanding. GP couldn't really tell me what he thought was the cause of this dizziness.Other symptoms I tried to tell him were difficulty in staying asleep for longer than 4-5hrs,extreme weakness like the life had been drained out of me(episodes lasting 30-40mins then ok)and periods of depression for no apparent reason.I would like to know your views on this dizziness as I am unable to perform all my work duties at the moment as they involve me turning my head to the sides and back constantly.
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

It is unfortunate that you are not better even after five weeks of treatment.

The most common causes of vertigo and dizziness are labyrinthitis and benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). Both these conditions are ear related and are not serious conditions. They improve over a period of six to twelve weeks with medications such as betahistine and exercises (vestibular adaptation exercises). In some cases, steroids are also helpful.

In view of other symptoms, we should also exclude other causes. In view of convulsions, we should do a MRI brain to exclude any brain related causes such as lack of blood flow to brain.

Blood tests for hemoglobin, thyroid, vitamin B12 and cholesterol would also be required.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any other queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Having swollen eyebrows. Suffer from dizziness and nausea. Had vertigo symptoms. Diagnosed labyrintitis. Prescribed Betahistine. Suggest 3 hours later
I forgot to point out that I travel by rail in a deep sea underground tunnel twice a day(a journey of 35 mins) and my left ear is sore at the end of the first trip and even worse at the end of the second one (8 hrs after the 1st journey) accompanied with disorientation and severe headache localised to the front of the head.I have travelled this way to work for 9 years now but only now have these discomfort. There's no difference in the pain whether I wear ear plugs or not during the trip.Do you think I should avoid this journey and work elsewhere for the time being or it's just coincidence.Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 18 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

It may be better to avoid this journey for a few weeks if possible. This is based on your symptoms.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)