Having swollen ankles. Suffered an injury on lower leg between calf and ankle. Having Multiple sclerosis and overweight. What should I do?

Just in the last 2 or 3 weeks my ankles have started swelling. Now a year ago January I suffered an injury to my lower leg between my calf and ankle. The tissue got infected under the skin and it was operated on cutting out two aras, one larger than a silver dollar and one the size of a 50 cent piece. They grafted skin to close the wounds and my recovery was about 6 weeks. The one ankle swelled but by the end of recovery it returned to normal. I'm 68, I do have MS, I'm 10 to 15 lbs over weight (5' 11" tall; 200lbs now). What should I do?
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to help you.

Based on the information you are having swelling in the ankle and you want to know what is going on and what you should do to prevent it.

The swelling in ankle is mostly due to a fluid collected in the ankles due to a gravity dependent area, and other cause is due to some kind on kidney issues.

1) You must make sure you do 30 min walk / day so that the fluid will not get chance to collect as your leg muscle works as pump to propel the fluid back to heart.

2) You must have your urine tested, to figure out if some thing is wrong with kidneys and that need to be taken care off.

Please feel free to contact me incase of further questions/concerns.