Having swollen and painful wrist due to cat bite. Prescribed amox-clav. Having vomiting after taking medications. Suggestions

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
cat bit me this morning my wrist is very swollen and very painful. I went to urgent care and they prescribed pain meds and it has not helped.they also prescribed amox-clav 500 mgs. i took them at 1pm, at 3pm my stomach was upset and i vomited.im in alot of pain now and my wrist has swollen a lot more...
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.
YOu should take amox-clav 2tbl every 12 hours or 1 tbl every 8 hours for this infection. Stomach pain is common side effect of these antibiotics. It can be helpful if you take it with some probiotic yoghurt or banana. If this isnt helpful you should visit doctor and change the medicines. Also, it cant show effect after one or few doses. AT least 36 hours must pass till the result is seen so be patient and everything will be fine soon.

WIsh you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.