Having swollen and painful arms and ankles. Noticed spots on palms. Tender to touch. Any cure?

Hi.. recently both my hand have been swollen along with really sharp shooting pain. I am now noticing some dark pin point spots of my palms. My hand are very tender to touch and it feels like someone cut up my skin with a knife when i touch something . The swelling increases and decreases but is present most of the time. Sometimes my hands (mostly finger tips) get really red with throbbing pain. Washing my hands with hot water does help with swelling and pain but only for a few minutes. My ankles are also swollen but not painful
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Pain and swelling in joints are frequently seen in association with Hypothyroidism.

If the Thyroid hormone levels since on Synthroid are within range, then considering possibility of an inflammatory condition is reasonable.

I suggest you to get blood tests like ESR (Erythrocyte sedimentation rate), RA (rheumatoid) factor and CRP (C reactive protein).These tests give a detailed insight into the condition you have The test results help us to arrive at a specific diagnose and formulate further management.

If above tests are negative , then there would be need for a physical examination of the joints to know the condition better.You may have to then visit a Orthopaedician.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.