Having swollen and itchy bump in the pubic area. Is this due to infection?

Jan 2014

Hello, I shaved pubic area 3 weeks ago and after one day from shaving I noticed a bump which was swollen and itchy.. I applied heat to it .. It turned to be fine the next day but a small blood bump that get drained blood from time to time. The bump is a little bit swollen like a pie-size and have a tender center which I guess the place which blood is getting out from. It's been three weeks approx. Is it possible it's the Stalph infection, I never had these before and I wasn't sexually active.
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Could be pyogenic granuloma if not razor bump. Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for asking XXXXXXX Pubic area is prone to develop Razor bumps. They happen specially because pubic hair are curly, coarse and also since shaving creates a sharp edge at the tip of hair. So when these hairs grow they curl back onto itself and can reenter skin thus causing razor bumps which can become infected with bacteria. One must always take a few precautions while shaving in this area: 1. Shave while showering. Warm water makes the hair soft or one can use a wet washcloth soaked in warm water in that area before shaving. 2. Use a shaving cream/gel for moisturisation which makes the hair soft. 3. Avoid a close shave/use single blade razor. 4. Don't use dull razors Coming to the problem that you are facing. I guess that the razor bump that you got after shaving got infected. Another possibility is that of pyogenic granuloma since you say that it a pea-sized swelling which discharges blood from time to time and it is a bit tender. This possibility seems more likely since three weeks is a long time for a simple razor bump to persist. I would advice that you visit a dermatologist and get it visually examined. Your treating doctor might give you a course of antibiotic like Penicillins or cephalosporins and if the diagnosis is pyogenic granuloma, then it can be removed simply under local anesthesia. I would appreciate if you can send me a picture of it because its difficult to give a 100% accurate diagnosis without having a look at it. take care regards dr. kakkar
Follow-up: Having swollen and itchy bump in the pubic area. Is this due to infection? 6 minutes later
This is a picture i hope it finds you.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: haven't got the picture!! Detailed Answer: Hi, I am sorry, I did not receive the picture. You can try uploading it one more time using the site's uploader. Or you may mail it to YYYY@YYYY with subject as "Attn: Dr. Kakkar"
Follow-up: Having swollen and itchy bump in the pubic area. Is this due to infection? 12 minutes later
I uploded it again .. I hope it finds you right now.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Furuncle it is. Detailed Answer: Hi. In your case it seems just a furuncle. Its bacterial infection. I suggest that you use oral antibiotic like Cephelexin 750mg twice daily for 7 days or cefadroxyl 500mg twice daily for 7 days. These drugs may not be available over the counter. Ask your local physician for a prescription. In the mean while you can apply topical anti bacterial ointment like mupirocin twice daily for 5-7 days. This ointment should be available over the counter. You can also take a pain killer such as ibuprofen 200mg twice daily as and when you feel severe pain. Ibuprofen is also available over the counter. It will be fine take care Dr. kakkar