Having swollen and dry patches on vagina after having intercourse. Reason?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
I few days ago my husband who is stationed in Japan came home for a few days. We had a sex and lasting over an hour with oral sex involved as well. I am waxed and he has thick cores hair around his genitals. The next morning we had another session and afterwards I felt like I was extremely swollen and "raw XXXXXXX Which has happened before but this time it didn't get better after time passed. And now I have these circular scaly, around the edges, dry patches around the lips closer to the anus and my vagina itself is extremely dry. There is no discharge or smell its just very uncomfortable and not getting better.
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

Dry, scaly patches around the vaginal lips, closer to anus is mostly suggestive of an allergic reaction or infective origin. It is commonly occurred following your period over or removal of IUD due to use of the pad/ tampons or pantyliner, causing too much dryness and your genital skin becomes scaly/ patchy to help itself get better.

Other associated factors for above condition are using cosmetic/ bath products/ body wash or shaving cream/ condoms or other chemical substance/ certain medication etc. Waxing is also an important cause.

As there is no abnormal vaginal discharge or bad smell, then possibility of sexually transmitted disease (STD) or vaginal infection is unlike.

In addition, associated itching or rash or dry scaly skin on other body parts may indicate that you are allergic to them.

If you're not allergic to them, you should try things labeled with "for sensitive skin only" as your products might be the aggravating agent for your skin around genital region. You may need to change or stop using such products.

Here, I suggest you to consult with a dermatologist for clinical examination and relevant investigation. Proper treatment depends on pin point diagnosis of the underlying causes.

You can use aloe vera gel or 1% hydrocortisone cream over the affected region. In addition, Vagisil or water based lubricant is quite helpful in case of vaginal dryness.

You should avoid any type of sexual activity or using bath products/ chemical cosmetics till complete course of treatment.

Take healthy diet with anti-oxidant supplements (zinc/ selenium etc) and drink more water to stay hydrated. Maintenance of genital hygiene is also the key thing in this case. Wear only clean cotton loose fitting underwear.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen