Having swelling, redness, itchiness, and pain on penis. Used hydrocortisone cream and antibiotic cream. Remedy?

I started having swelling, redness, itchiness, and then pain on my penis about 6 weeks ago. I have treated with everything from jock itch spray/ointment, hydrocortisone cream, triple antibiotic cream and now diaper rash cream (zinc oxide). It has gotten progressively worse. I am a 40 year old overweight male and my penis is not large so it usually kind of "turtles", is the best way to describe it... retreats in the folds of skin and fat. Urinating itself does not hurt but it hurts very much if the urine touches the inflamed area, which has now spread through my entire groin and crotch area (I spent about 4 days in extreme heat outdoors, had Desitin on during that time). The worst is on my penis and immediately around the base, very red, some blood from the skin and swollen areas of skin on the penis itself. Please advise. Thanks in advance.
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Thank you so much for this query. I am Dr. Ditah and feel honored having this opportunity to address your health questions today. I am so sorry to hear about these wounds on your penis and all the inconveniences you have been experiencing.

From the description of the lesions, your symptoms, the various treatment options, and your weight and skin morphology, there are a couple of things we have to do. The most important is making sure you get the penis exposed and always dry. If these conditions are not respected and met, then treatment would be very difficult and we may go on to develop a progression of these lesions. You must try to adopt various postures and get these measures respected. I don't know what it takes but if it means getting time off work, staying at home and sleeping such that fat and skin folds can be kept away from burying the penis, it is very capital. This accompanied by local wound dressing, antibiotics and pain relievers if need pain. Being unable to keep the area dry, exposed, clean and not buried in warmth as in your case greatly compromises all efforts to get the wound healed.

I hope you find the means to apply the above advice.. This is the main arm of treatment. I hope you find it helpful and provides enough guidance on how to approach this problem. Once we get this situation at hand controlled, I will advice that you return to us for more advice on how to get your weight controlled.
If you should have more specific questions related to this query, please, I am very ready and happy to answer them.
I wish you a speedy recovery.
Dr. Ditah, MD.