Having swelling on clavicle. Does not show on CT scan. Diagnosed with asthma. Is this related to cough?

I have a swelling on top of my clavicle at the point where my neck meets the shoulder. It appeared in about Jan/Feb after having a few months of hard coughing. It's about the size of lemon. It's soft and palpable. It does not show up on an ultrasound, it does show up on a cat scan as "small lymph nodes" per the nurse who just read me the report. First: why would these suddenly appear on top of my shoulder when they were never there before? Could they be related to my cough? (I just got diagnosed w asthma at age 53 after never having breathing problems in my life, and i've now been coughing for 5 months).
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 1 hour later
Hi there, thanks for asking. Yes, they can appear after any infection. People who have sleep apnea are more prone to infections in the lung. It is important that your sleep apnea is managed well.
If the node does not disappear after several weeks (three to four weeks), then other causes of lymph node enlargement should be assessed. The point that you have had a lung infection recently, make it almost clear that they are due to it.
Do not worry since it is a common issue after infection.
Let me know if you have any question.I wish you a good health.
Follow-up: Having swelling on clavicle. Does not show on CT scan. Diagnosed with asthma. Is this related to cough? 6 minutes later
It has been there since at least February (3 months). I've been coughing almost non-stop since December (only a few weeks of not coughing/wheezing during the last five months). I have taken antibiotics and don't have an infection, and was given a dose of diflucan as well. was getting better, but last weekend got exposed to 2 days in a house seriously soaked with cat urine, and my lungs have filled up again. The Cat Scan said it was "small" lymph nodes, but the swelling is the size of a lemon. I'm concerned because it has been there for so long without change in size.
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 17 hours later
Hi there, thanks for your query again. If your nodule has been seen in cat scan as a small node, you should not worry. The size that you observe is related to the surrounding tissue as well. However, if you feel any symptoms related to whole of your body like fever, weight loss, etc you tell the doctor. With high probability it will disappear several weeks after you do not have any infection. Best wishes.
Follow-up: Having swelling on clavicle. Does not show on CT scan. Diagnosed with asthma. Is this related to cough? 6 hours later
I have had a fever for 2 days. The problem is it's been there for MONTHS already. along w a chronic cough that I can't seem to get rid of.
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 24 minutes later
The acute fever, the fever that has been for two days shows an active infection in your body. If you have mild (low) fever which lasts for long time, would be a sign that doctor should take it seriously to see what is the cause. Let me know if it is not improved after a week or two is you wish.