Having swelling in ankle and feet. Have Parkinson. Blood test shows low platelets. Remedy?

Nov 2013

my feet and ankle start swelling have to say that I have a Parkinson and always blood test showing a low platelets
Please help,
,Thank you
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 18 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not due to any serious underlying disease.
The most likely cause of swelling of your ankles is accumulation of water. It is possible that your mobility is reduced on account of Parkinson's disease. During rest, with legs hanging, water accumulates around the ankle and feet, as these are the most dependent parts of our bodies when sitting.
To minimise the swelling, you could walk more and do more exercises. In addition, you could keep your legs elevated on a chair while sitting, and on pillows while sleeping.

I hope the rest of the blood tests have come back normal.

I hope this helps. I would be pleased to answer any follow up queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist