Having swelling, dull pain but minimal in adam's apple. What could it be?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hello, I have a swelling or nodule to the right of my adam's XXXXXXX It feels like a dull pain, but minimal. I can feel it moving but can't tell if it is supposed to be there, just swollen. May be an infection... could it be a swollen lymph node or other kind of swelling? I assume this is not the region where thryroid cancer is checked for, since it is to the right of my adam's XXXXXXX and not below it... please help with any advice or info.
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
USG Neck, FNAC, Check Response to Medication

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a USG (Ultrasound) of the Neck done, A Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology (FNAC) may help

2. This is most likely a lymph node, and the source may be infection. Thyroid growths, cysts and nodules and other conditions need to be ruled out.

3. I must emphasize that there is no cause for worry. You may follow up with the reports.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having swelling, dull pain but minimal in adam's apple. What could it be? 2 minutes later
Thank you. It may be related to dust as I have been using a fan a lot lately. I had an ear issue so it may be something in my head and neck, ear area. Ear is fine now. I have no other symptoms. When I touch it it does move like a nodule and seems swollen perhaps... the left side is more smooth. Does this sound like an infected or inflamed lymph node? I will do to the doctor next week....

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely a lymph node. Investigation required.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. There are normally abouut 300 lymph nodes present in the head and neck region. Hence it is likely that such a swelling is a reactive lymph node.

2. There are many other rarer causes for such lumps, which is why a full examination is necessary.

3. You may request your doctor to start anti-allergic treatment including steroid nasal sprays for the dust allergy.

Regards.