Having swelling due to severe sprained ankle. Is the swelling normal after bed rest?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi , i injured my ankle in a squashing accident at gym ( falling of cross trainer and then my foot was squashed between paddle and the body machine! ). so it had all the symptoms like fracture , went dr , did Xray wasnt any fracture and then 2 days later went to physio got it a severe sprained ankle so i did RICE for the first 2 weeks i was completely bed rest with alittle mobility now i m in week 4 , all the symptoms get really really better now i m doing all of my stretching and balancing exercises but i still have swealling and a achy pain just like discomfort sensation in it . i ve just wondering if this swealling is normal ? and what can i do for it ? its quite firm and around my ankle but mainly on the front side of foot and i m going to start working from next week which means start of my 5th week of healing, i m really concerned if working can affect it ? and i m an active person doing dancing and exercising a lot so i dont want to get second injury by not healing this injury well .. i m waiting for your response
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Not uncommon to still having swelling . Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. It is not uncommon to still having swelling after 4 weeks of ankle sprain. Continue doing rehabilitation exercises suggested by your physiotherapist or doctor to decrease pain and swelling and to prevent chronic ankle problems. Ultrasound and electrical stimulation can be used to help with pain and swelling. You can gradually return to your work over 1-2 week period. Avoid doing activities that require turning or twisting of ankle. Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concerns. Wishing you speedy recovery. Warm regards.