Having surgery on big toe due to epicondylitis. How long should I be off my feet after surgery?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am having surgery on my big toe due to epicondylitis in November. How long should I be off my feet after surgery
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need some clarity on the diagnosis of your problem

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

As far as my knowledge is concerned, there is no condition in orthopedics which goes by the name " Epicondylitis of Big toe". Is it a "Hammer toe" condition you have ?

I personally think that it may be "Condylectomy" or "Bunion surgery". Please clarify.

Let me know the correct diagnosis or the symptoms you have. If you can send clinical pictures or xrays, they will be much helpful.

Generally, soft tissue surgery that involves the Big toe will require atleast 3 weeks of rest in the form of immobilization. If any implants (screws or plates) are used in the corrective surgery for XXXXXXX fixation, then 8-10 weeks of rest is needed.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further