Having sudden gallstone flare-up. Is it due to nutrition plan, work-out regime and sustained weight loss?

Question
I am in the hospital due to a sudden gallstone flare-up. Friends are suggesting that my nutrition plan, work-out regime and sustained weight loss (about 25 pounds in 15 months) could be a cause. Does this sound right?
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 52 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Rapid weight loss can be associated with symptomatic gallstones. Studies usually state that weight loss of more than 1.5 kg or 3.3 pound a week can be associated with this problem.
This occurs in rapid weight loss because some of the extra cholesterol from the liver goes into the bile and results in cholesterol gallstones.

To combat this persons are usually advised to lose weight at a steady pace of 1 to 2 pounds a week
Your sure and steady weight loss of just under 2 pounds a month is not likely result in precipitation of a gallstone in most persons though every one is different, it is just not very likely.
Physical activity is actually associated with a decreased risk of gallstones, one study stated that chances of gallstones decreased by 20% in men who increased physical activity. The study did not look at women, but it is assumed that the same would apply.

In terms of nutrition , gallstones are more likely if the diet is high in cholesterol and fat. This is the main type of diet associated with gallstones formation.
If your present diet is very high in fat ,it is possible that it may have played a role.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Having sudden gallstone flare-up. Is it due to nutrition plan, work-out regime and sustained weight loss? 15 minutes later
My present diet is low fat. I'm on a plan similar to what diabetics are given. I am not diabetic. Nevertheless, I eat lots of lean proteins and good carbs in 5 meals over the day. I'll wait to hear what the attending says. My weight loss has not been rapid, so thanks for answering that piece.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 25 minutes later
Your are welcome, your diet should not have caused the gallstones if it is low fat

Please feel free to ask any other questions