Having sudden feeling of fast heartbeats for few seconds. Should I be worried?

hi my heart beats normal and then beats very quick 4 a few beats,it feels odd,should i worry?thank you
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

I would like to know a few more details in order to come to a better conclusion

1. Are you on any medications? please mention them to me
2. Does these extra heart beats happen after exercise, meals or drinking coffee? or can it happen even at rest?
3. Are you a hypertensive?
4. Was any test done for this heart beat issue? could you please attach the reports?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Having sudden feeling of fast heartbeats for few seconds. Should I be worried? 14 hours later
Hi i am on aropax,only 1 tablet aday(30mg)have been on them 4 many years.
The beats happen any time,from waking to bed time,some times after.
I normally have normal blood pressure but the last few times it has been elevated..
1/5/12=130/85 17/5/12=149/94 18/7/12=118/82 7/8/12=150/100.
Had tests done about 4yrs ago+ and they were not worried.i have had ecgs done and they were ok
thank you
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

Your blood pressure is in acceptable limits except for two readings of 149/94 and 150/100. I suggest you take serial readings of blood pressure everyday at the same time for one week to know whether or not you are a hypertensive

The most common cause for abnormal awareness of ones on heart beat is anxiety and stress however arrhythmias cannot be ruled out (abnormal contractions of the heart) which can last for a few seconds. For this I advice you to approach a cardiologist for a 24 hour Holter monitoring (here a small ECG device is attached to the chest for 24 hours to take ECGs during the abnormal heart beats).

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you god health