Having sudden choking sensation. Cannot swallow. Suspecting lyme disease. What does these symptoms indicate?

Nov 2013

Hi Dr
Please see my medical history below.
Currently I am having sudden choking sensation even while I am not eating/drinking anything. Feels as I am choking on my saliva. Can't swallow it properly.
The issue is it happens out of the blue and is very disturbing .
Could be it be anxiety related or do I need to get any more investigations done.
I am suspecting lyme disease as I checked on internet and symptons match. Is there a test to rule out/diagnose lyme
Are there any coping mechanism to ease these symptoms.
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is not Lyme disease

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms can not be due to Lyme disease, as this disease does not occur in India.

As you expected, the most likely cause of your symptoms could be anxiety.

However, if you develop these symptoms more frequently, or if you develop additional symptoms such as double vision, slurred speech, drooping of eyelids, etc, then, you should consult a neurologist to exclude myasthenia gravis, as myasthenia gravis can cause similar symptoms.

So, there is no need to worry at present.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: