Having substantial achilles pain. Diagnosed with Achilles tendonosis. Suggest exercises?

Hi - Had an xray done today for what has been diagnosed as "Achilles tendonosis" and "left post medial ankle collapse" is written on the diagnostic form as well. The xray is here: WWW.WWWW.WW

Appointment was too fast for me to catch everything. Can you tell me what the bump is over my calcaneus? She said it was as a result of the tendinosis, not a cause of it.

Also, can't get into PT for a week. Any recommendations for stretches (really tight calves) or exercises to tide me over until my first PT appointment?

Thank you!
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 3 hours later
Dear patient

Thanks for your health concerns.

The bony spike that you see is called an osteophyte, which is indeed a bony spike that results from remodeling of the bone due to a degenerative process. The degeneration usually occurs due to repeated trauma.

I am glad you are seeing a physiotherapist. A basic but important exercise that you can do is the following: sit down on a chair, have your hands resting on your knee caps and lift your feet by the tips (like you were pressing on the gas or brake of a car), slow repetitions in series of 15, at least 3 series. Conversely, in the same position with hands on knee caps do the opposite motion: lift up the dorsum of the feet from the ground as if you were planning to walk on your heels, same repetitions. Breathe in slowly and exhale in each repetition.

Hope that helps, wish you the best health

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN