Having subcutaneous edema about the ankle joint. Do I need surgery?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have a sprain of the deltoid complex without complete disruption. Also sprain of lateral ligament a full thickness disruption. Tenosynovitis involving the flexor hallucis longus tendon. Subcutaneous edema about the ankle joint. Do I need surgery?
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Surgical repair is not necessary Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. If there is partial tear of deltoid complex, surgical repair is not necessary. If the patient is athlete or high demand and ankle is unstable, then surgery is recommended. In your case , it doesn't looks like that you need surgery. Your injury can be treated by stirrup brace or boot immobilization with early functional rehabilitation. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care Warm Regards