Having sub-epithelial lymphoid bumps on mucousal piece that runs in front of tonsils. Is this the normal place?

ENT Specialist
I saw my doctor yesterday for a sinus infection and a few bumps on the back of my throat. He gave me a Z-pak and Flonase pluse said to use Claritin. What concerns me is that one of the sub-epithelial lymphoid bumps is on the mucousal piece that runs in front of my tonsils and I can feel it like something is stuck there touching my tongue. I did show it to the doctor and he said it was nothing to worry about. Since I can feel it, I can't stop thinking about it. I can see it with a flashlight and there is one about 1/4th inch above it on the same piece of membrane. I just saw my dentist for a regular check up and she checked my tongue, etc. just days before I got sick. Is this in a normal place for a sub-epithelial lymphoid tissue bump?
Posted Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: There are multiple lymph node in neck Detailed Answer: Hello, There are multiple lymphoid tissue in neck. The lymphoid enlargement could be because of chronic irritation . First of all is the sinus infection which your doctor is treating . You should take normal saline sprays in addition to the medicines you are taking which will keep your nose clean and less of allergens will stay and cause reaction , and also it decreases snoring. Snoring is major cause of reflux from stomach. And Reflux is itself a major cause for the throat irritation .It doesnot matter you feel heart burn acidity or not. For treament--- Antacids and antireflux medicines . Precautions— Keep head end of bed elevated. Avoid alcohol, Smoking Do brisk walking daily Go for walk after dinner Avoid spicy food Avoid late night coffee You should also use Gargles of listerine , hexidene or betadine so that the oral hygiene is maintained. In doubt do reply
Follow-up: Having sub-epithelial lymphoid bumps on mucousal piece that runs in front of tonsils. Is this the normal place? 13 minutes later
This is a small bump on the membrane in front of the tonsil (tonsils are not enlarged) and I had no swollen lymph nodes in my neck. It the small bump, which I can feel with my tongue, in a 'normal' place where these bumps might be found or do they only appear on the back of the throat?
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: follow previous advice Detailed Answer: Hello, The lymph nodes are on the neck but the tonsils are the lymphoid tissue, there is lymphoid tissue on the back of the tongue. The small bump may be because of the tonsil enlargement.Or the bump cold be because of small salivary gland enlargement. These are because of some irritation and you need to look for the cause --teeth , nasal dripping at the throat , or reflux. In doubt do reply
Follow-up: Having sub-epithelial lymphoid bumps on mucousal piece that runs in front of tonsils. Is this the normal place? 30 minutes later
I still don't understand your answer. My concern is regarding the small bump on the membrane that stretches from beside the tongue and covers the tonsil. Would a sub-epithelial lymphoid bump normally be found in that area regardless of cause (irritation, etc.)? The tonsil is not visable so not enlarged. The sensation of feeling the bump goes away if my mouth is moist after just drinking something. I understand about sinus drainage, mouth breathing during sleep, dry mouth, oral hygiene (just saw dentist and all good reports). Doctor talked to me about possible irritants, nasal saline spray and avoidance of allergens (leaf mold and rag week are VERY high right now).
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be normal oral structures Detailed Answer: Hello, That is what I wrote previously that there could be bump because of lymphoid tissue, or salivary gland, or due to mucosal bulge due to dental trauma. These bumps or swelling rises due to some irritation and then goes away when the irritant goes off. It is when the irritation is more we sometimes develop soreness or feel them. Therefore, what I was explaining was try to avoid the irritation so that any of swelling does not arise. In addition, most importantly whenever you roll your tongue to feel for the bulge it could be that you feel the other normal structure in oral cavity, as the muscles get taut when you roll the tongue and you get the false feeling. Your dentist has examined, so there are less chances of any disease being there. Regards