Having strong pinching feeling in head. Have arthritis in neck and spine. No help from pain killers. What can be done?

On and off for the last 3/4 years I have a very strong "pinching" pain on top and right side of head. It usually lasts for about 10 days and then just goes. This happens about every 3/4 months. Painkillers are not much help. I have arthritis in neck and spine and have steroid injections now and again which help a great deal. Can this "pinching" be a result of my neck/spine? I was sent to the A & E 18 months ago because my doctor thought it was a brain haemorage and my BP was over 200 and I felt very sick. I was told at A & E this was not the case and sent me home.
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, arthritis could most probably be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thanks for writing in.

Based on the information provided, even without the history of arthritis in your neck and spine any doctor would have adviced you to get an MRI of your brain and spine as the cause would most certainly lie in these regions.

In your specific case, taking into consideration your history; yes ma'am, the arthritis of your neck and spine are most certainly the cause for your pinching headache. I would also advice an MRI of the brain to be on the safer side, as this would help in ruling out/diagnosing any abnormalities in your brain.

Once all abnormalities in your brain are ruled out, you should speak to your treating doctor regsrding options to reduce pressure on blood vessels that are being compressed by the affected region of the neck or spine.

I hope this information helps you in finding a solution to your presentation and helps in leading a beautiful and symptom-free life.

Best of luck and god bless.