Having stress, high level of thyroid, factor V bleeding with chronic pain in jaw. Reason for hair fall?

I have noticed my hair falling out. Whenever I run my hand through my hair I get a handful. I asked the pharmacy and there are no side effects with the meds I am taking. It started in Dec ---I thought with the holidays and we moved it was stress but it is still happening. My thyroid levels were normal in July 2012. In that blood work the only thing off was a very slight increase in platelets. I have factor V bleeding disorder and some other issues but the hair falling out is new. I have several chronic pain problems with my jaw and face and knees. I see a Pain Mgmt doctor monthly. My previous blood work was July so can something go wrong so fast. I am just wondering if this would be a waste of my PCP time.
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
From the clinical history that you have mentioned there could be few causes for hair fall -hormonal factor( as you have irregular menses), stress, chronic illness, surgeries and prolonged use of medication.
These might cause two pattern of hair fall
1) telogen effluvium where there is diffuse hair fall, over all density of hair seems to reduce
2) androgenetic alopecia( female pattern hair loss) where the hair parting may become wide with loss of hair from centre and crown of scalp. Sometimes it may present as hair fall from temples and frontal area. An association with oily coarse acne prone skin, excessive hair growth and dandruff could be seen sometimes.
To help you out in suggesting, how to manage your hair fall, I would like to know
1) since how long are you having it
2) pattern of hair fall- diffuse or loss from centre and crown with bald areas seen
3) hormonal investigations and ultrasound for pelvis area if done
4) associated features like acne, obesity, dandruff, oily skin
5) history of anaemia, nutritional deficiencies if any.
6) treatment taken so far
Hoping to hear from you soon. Take care.
Follow-up: Having stress, high level of thyroid, factor V bleeding with chronic pain in jaw. Reason for hair fall? 5 hours later
I noticed the hair loss in Dec (we were moving into our new home) and thought it was due to stress. I noticed my brush is full and my ponytail is much thinner (I think almost half as thick). I do not have a bald spot. Hormone levels were normal last summer and the pelvic ultrasound was normal. The only abnormality was slightly high platelets. I do have a clear not oily skin. I noticed hair on my clothes which never has happened before. I have not used any chemicals or XXXXXXX on my hair for almost a year. I wash my hair with a gentle shampoo. I think I have normal nutrition or anemia and am 15 lbs overweight. I do not have dandruff. my hair is long past my shoulders. I just thought it was stress and have not pursued treatment however it has been 2 1/2 months now.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
The pattern of your hair fall points more towards possibilities of telogen effluvium. It is characterised by acute onset of diffuse hair fall. As such patient will feel that the ponytail or the hair has thinned in density.
Usually it has a spontaneous recovery and resolution in 6 months. Sometimes it may persist beyond 6 months and is known as chronic telogen effluvium. The causes is usually diminished body store of iron and ferritin.
The causes of telogen effluvium are stress, surgeries, trauma, nutrional deficiency, medications, pregnancy, thyroid disorder, anaemia etc.

To treat the same, I would suggest you
To improve your diet. It should contain adequate amount of protein, carbohydrates vitamins like biotin, pantothenic acid, folic acid and B12 and minerals like iron ,copper, selenium, manganese, magnesium and zinc. You may also take hair supplements XXXXXXX in the same like tablet Follihair.

Apply minoxidil solution 2 percent 1 ml twice in a day. As such its role in telogen hair fall is not well defined but it definitely helps in hair growth.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be any doubt, feel free to write back.