Having strange heart palpitation. All medical test normal. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Cardiologist, Interventional
I’ve had a strange heart palpitation for the last 6 months. It seems to get stronger and stronger each time. These episodes usually occur around 3:30 AM in the morning in the middle of a dead sleep (it happens on and off). I’ve gone to a cardiologist and have had multiple EKG’s, Holter monitors, Echo cardio grams, event monitors, blood work and it ALL comes back normal. I was told these palpitations are fairly normal for someone who is as active as I am and for my age. (kind of hard to believe)
I am 25 years old, highly active (I run about 26ish miles a week), I eat healthy foods (triscuits are the most processed thing I eat), and the only caffeine I get is from one cup of green tea in the morning. I did lose 70lbs about 4 years ago and Ive never had any major medical issues.

Is this something that is harmless and “normal” or is this something I should be more concerned about? Im thinking about going to another cardiologist for a second opinion.

Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 1 hour later

The details given by you do not point to any XXXXXXX or harmful issues. As told by your cardiologist, and if your tests are normal, there is nothing to worry.

Generally, sleep has cycles called REM and NREM. REM is highly adrenergic state and if you get up during that phase generally after a dream or thought, you do not remember you are likely to have this feel.

However, if it is persistent and disturbing sleep, maybe we will have to consider event recorder.