Having stool movement ten times a day. Suggest the cure?

Can't stop doing a stool movement ten to twevle times a day for the past five years
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need some more details

Detailed Answer:

There are many reasons for having chronic diarrhea, I need a better history in order to come to conclusion as to what might be causing 12 episodes of loose stool for 5 years. I feel it is better this way rather than just giving you a big list of all causes

1. Is the stool foul smelling?
2. Does it pain while passing loose stools?
3. Do you feel like passing motion immediately after eating?
4. IS there blood in stools?
5. Have you undergone colonoscopy anytime? Seen by a gastroenterologist?
6. What drugs do you take regularly? Please list them out to me
7. DO you have any history of thyroid related problems?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Having stool movement ten times a day. Suggest the cure? 18 minutes later
Stool not smelling no pain wile passing stool yes I feel like passing after eating some times no blood in stool never had a colonosopy I take benicar& Lipitor no thyroid problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Irritable Bowel Syndrome or chronic malabsorption syndrome.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the quick reply.

From the history you have given me it looks like you are suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome or chronic malabsorption syndrome. The other differentials are Here is what I suggest ,

1. Please avoid caffeine
2. Avoid milk, milk products and gluten
3. Eat on time everyday, do not skip meals.
4. Add lots of fibre to your diet, this will add bulk to your stools. Easiest way to do it is by adding fruits and vegetables to your daily diet
5. Engage in physical activities
6. If you are leading a stressful life, meditation and yoga in the mornings are known to reduce stress

The drugs to help you with the loose stools will be Racedotril three times a day or loperamide. Loperamide is ideal as you have several episodes of loose stools per day.

However I strongly suggest you to approach a gastroentrologist for the history of loose stools, you will need a colonoscopy done to rule out organic causes of loose stools and also a complete work up of malabsoption syndromes

I hope I was of help, if you have further queries please get back to me I will be happy to help

Follow-up: Having stool movement ten times a day. Suggest the cure? 24 minutes later
Doctor can I get this medication over the counter. I don't have any medical insurance .
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Loperamide is an amazing drug for chronic loose stools. It stops the bowel movements completely but it has side effects like bloating, gaseous distension and serious side effects like intestinal obstruction and sepsis. So even if it is available over the counter I strongly advice you to visit a physician first before taking it.