Having stomach pain, diarrhea with red blood in stool, vomiting, fatigue, back pain. What is the disease?

Excellent

Question
I have the stomach flu acute pain in abdomen diarrhea vomitting fatique and now bright red blood in stool. I got sick friday night rested till today and felt like it started back up. Immodium didnt help took it with pepto bismol and ibuprofin. I also have severe back pain. I am healthy women work out regularly eat very clean diet and no history of back pain. Is this all related amything i could do to heal faster get back my program
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 15 minutes later
Hi.

Thank you for your query.

Yes ma'am, this is all related. Your presentation is typical for the stomach flu, the only symptom that differentiates it from the commonly seen stomach flu's is the blood you noticed in your stools. Also ma'am, have you noticed a fever?

The treatment you have taken is not appropriate for the condition you are suffering from. As this condition has an infective (more likely) and a non-infective type, we will have to run a few tests (blood work). For this you will have to visit a doctor. A white blood cell count and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) will greatly help in detecting an infection. Once an infection is detected you will have to be treated with antibiotic therapy specific to your condition (eg. nifuroxazide). A 5-7 day course will surely relieve you of your trouble and get you back to your program from the second day of the course.

I hope this information helps. Please write back to me for any further clarifications. I would love to be of assistance. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Having stomach pain, diarrhea with red blood in stool, vomiting, fatigue, back pain. What is the disease? 19 minutes later
Thank you very much for your prompt answer. If i dont have a temperature now am i not contagious to other people. I am a personal trainer fitness instructor and was wondering if it is okay to resume work teaching and training clients without getting them sick and also if it would hurt to get back on my weight training and cardio? Thank you for your time.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 minutes later
Hello once again.

If you need to get back to training, I would suggest you keep yourself hydrated. An ORS (oral rehydration solution) which contains all the electrolytes/salts that help in keeping you energetic, hydrated and active (these are lost through diarrhea in individuals experiencing the stomach flu).

You might not feel strong enough to get back to weight training, this will also strain you. I would avoid weight training, but cardio should be fine. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Do write back to me if you have any further clarifications, I would love to address them. If not, you could rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.