Having stomach pain and loose stool with blood in it. What could it be?

Stomach pain/bloody stoolLast Wednesday or Thursday I noticed that there was some blood when I wiped. I have had hemorrhoids before so I didn't think much of it. A couple days after that I started to get random stomach pains like I had eaten something spicy and got gas pains from it or something like that. The first two days it only happened once but since then it has become much more frequent. I now have some sort of discomfort almost constantly. My stool has become more watery and the blood is still there. It's a red color. Not dark brown or black. My stool is now almost completely liquid.
Posted Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your query.
Loose stools with blood in it along with abdominal pain could be due to colitis.
Colitis could be due to infection or it could be due to inflammatory bowel disease.
A stool test may be done to rule out infection.
In case of infection you may require a course of antibiotics. Take probiotics in addition for good relief. Eat yogurt.
For pain relief you may need antispasmodic medications.
I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini