Having stomach pain. Done with CT scan. What does the report says?

I just went to a gastroenterologist last week for stomach pain that I have had on and off for years. Had a CT scan today and I always assumed it was my gallbladder or pancreas, but the results say the gallbladder and pancreas are unremarkable. The impression at the end states " Mild splenomegaly. Minimally prominent lymph nodes in the right lower quadrant mesentery that are likely reactive. No visible inflamed bowel. No CT findings for an acute intra-abdominal process otherwise." My doctor is out of town until next week, which upsets me because I should have to wait, but I want to know what this means. A) There was no mass seen in my enlarged spleen, so what could cause that? B) Why would my lymph nodes be minimally prominent in lower quadrant mesentery and what does it mean that they are reactive? I am so tired of stressing over this and I would really appreciate an answer. One thing I want to include is during the CT scan I was having a horrible herpes simplex 1 outbreak and my lymph nodes under my neck were very swollen. Would this impact my spleen being mildly enlarged? I am just nervous. I am 28. I have had two CBC's and both were completely normal. I have no symptoms of anything. I do suffer from extreme anxiety and OCD, which I am being treated for be a psychiatrist.
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 21 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the query.
Let me explain to you

1) Mild splenomegaly means a slightly enlarged spleen. Spleen is an lymphoid organ which gets enlarged in any kind of infection and can stay large till months even after the infection has got cured. Even a viral fever can cause it.
But may be not worry.
2) Similarly small enlarged lymphnodes is fairly common finding in stomach on CT scan and not to worry.
So absolutely nothing to get stressed about.
Yes possibly that as an reaction to the infection that it may enlarge spleen and lymphnodes together.
So need not worry, you can take this CT report as normal.
Best wishes.
Happy to help.
Follow-up: Having stomach pain. Done with CT scan. What does the report says? 3 hours later
Thank you for your response. I feel a little better. I just read all these horrible things about an enlarged spleen, but like I mentioned all my labs are normal. In your professional opinion do you think having a herpes simplex 1 outbreak (cold sore) during the time of the CT scan could cause enlarged spleen? My lymph nodes around my neck were extremely swollen when I had the cold sore, which is what always happens when I get one. Could this impact my spleen? I have tried to find research on this, but have found nothing. So in your field of gastroenterology seeing a mildly enlarged spleen is not out of the normal?
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 23 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the query.
Well any infection in body can cause inflammatory response initiation and enlarge spleen. So do not worry, give it some time it should settle down.
Can repeat a sonography after 3 months if you are too worried to see the splenic size.
Hope this answers your query.
Best wishes..